12 most memorable moments of misogyny this year
Readers talk back
Must reads site wide
Giving due honours where they are deserved, the 20th annual Ernie Awards will recognise the most sexist remarks made throughout the year at a gala dinner at NSW parliament house tomorrow night.
It's been a cracker year for misogyny, especially with so many women having the nerve to keep destroying the joint, so the nominee shortlist is a competitive one.
Let's take a look at the frontrunners:
- Kyle Sandilands (in remarking about journalist Alison Stephenson) "fat slag...a piece of shit...you haven't got that much titty to be having that low cut a blouse".
- Alan Jones "Women are destroying the joint, Christine Nixon in Melbourne, Clover Moore here. Honestly! ..There's no chaff bag big enough for these people".
- The Anglican Diocese of Sydney for proposing new marriage vows which require women to promise to "submit" to their husbands.
- Paul Keating mumbling as he left a planning meeting "Clover Moore couldn't get a f*** on a troopship coming home" (reported AFR 19/7/12 so it must be true)
- Basketball Australia for planning to send the women's team to London economy class while the men travelled Business.
- David Farley CEO of Australian Agricultural Company while demonstrating an abattoir machine "So it's designed for non-productive old cows - Julia Gillard's got to watch out."
- Mark Latham "Australia's teaching profession is dominated by ageing matrons, instinctively resistant to new ideas".
- Barry O'Farrell for saying of Linda Burney "I am not sure which other Member could be the hooker, perhaps the Member for Canterbury."
- Grahame Morris "Well Leigh (Sales) can be a real cow sometimes when she is doing her interviews."
- Lego for designing new characters for 'Lego Friends' marketed to girls. They spend their time in Heartlake City cafe, splash pool and beauty parlour and come in different pastel shades.
- Feminist icon Germaine Greer is nominated for the Elaine (the remark least helpful to the sisterhood) for her extraordinary admonition "You've got a big arse Julia. Just get on with it".
- Multiple Ernie winner Tony Abbott in response to Greer's remarks "I know I know, I know. Germaine Greer was right on that subject".
Prizes will be awarded across a number of different categories via a highly scientific method of judging: the level of booing that greets each remark, as determined by technically trained boo-monitors.
Give your own interactive boo below. Who deserves to take out the top prize?